Pages

how it really began.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

i started to sew after the 9th grade.
my best friend was moving away to another state and at the time, it felt like the end of the world. i was always the quiet one who befriended the not so quiet ones and it worked.  so, when my not so quiet friend was gone, i knew i would have to make friends on my own and assert myself.
but instead of doing that, i locked myself away in my room for the better part of the school year and started to sew. creating something, in a way, was really therapeutic for me.
i started sewing more and making things to wear. and then i wore those things to school. and oh gosh, looking back, i'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. i remember praying all day that the beige tribal flower patterned pants (yeah...) i made wouldn't fall apart at the seam. it was a close call but they made it through the day.
after a few more years of high school and more sewing, i realized how much i really loved creating things with fabric. college helped me find the things i really loved about the world of fashion. and lots of the things i really didn't.
and now, a few more years later, i am stepping out and remembering that nothing really starts from nothing. that even if i feel like i am just starting out, i've got 9th grade maria to remind me what i love to do and why i love it. and i promise i won't ever make another pair of tribal pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment